Give the public a little information and maybe that will keep them quiet. Is that now the credo of the Mifflin County Regional Police board? It seems so because the explanations they gave for firing Police Chief Herkert are vague at best, leaving everyone to speculate about what was actually behind his dismissal. A reader of this blog commented earlier that we got it all wrong because the facts have yet to come out.
Well…We’re still waiting. What we were given doesn’t complete the puzzle. Again, I question why Herkert’s request for a public hearing was denied? Denying his request also denies the public its right to know why he was fired.
Board member Nelso Rieffannacht said that he did not want to comment further on the reasons for Herkert’s dismissal out of respect for his privacy. Are you kidding me? Herkert offered to give up that right at a public hearing and the board refused.
Now, the board has adopted the strategy of hiding behind Herkert’s right to privacy as justification for not giving us any answers.
It makes you wonder why the police chief hired before Herkert abruptly resigned and left town after working the job for only a short period of time. Perhaps he knew something we didn’t.
I hope the members of the board do the right thing, resign as soon as possible.
3 comments:
Everything seems to be a big secret. Where did all of this really come from? The board deciding there has been too much spending, someone not attending a meeting...blah.blah,blah
Makes you wonder where all of this inside information came from. Doesn't anybody think it is strange that the admin. secretary for the MCRPD is the same secretary for the board? Or how there can be board members who are relatives of a police officer, who is currently having issues with the board? I would like to know why and how this all got started! I believe the public hearing was denied all because of there newly hired attorney. I believe he advised them to deny this because they didn't really have any strong allegations against the man, and a public hearing would have revealed how ridiculous there charges were..I know , I know the Chief was an,"at will" employee, so why didn't they just fire him from the get go! Because they really don't have anything to back it up! So, now they think that they are going to save face, deny the hearing, and leave it all a mystery. I just hope and pray the people and the Chief don't let this fade away like everything else in this town. Please board members, do the right thing, resign!!
It is a personnel issue between an employer and employee. Case closed. Get over it and find something else to write about.
You should start an online petition for everybody sign calling for their resignation.
Post a Comment