Not knowing what is going on in regards to the day to day operations of the regional police is not the responsibility of the board, I get that. But what is the responsibility of the board is putting someone in place to ensure that the daily activities are being performed, in an ethical and fair manner, they have failed this duty. It is the responsibility of the board to ensure that all members of their staff are carrying themselves in an ethical manner, they have failed at this duty. It is the responsibility of the board to ensure that the department is being run in the best manner 100% of the time, by all accounts, they have failed this duty. Somehow, the members of this board forgot that they are representatives. They are supposed to represent the constituents of their individual areas. By any standard you measure that, they have failed this duty.
To me, this seems like a situation that is going to get worse before it gets better. If this is the case let us look to some new leadership. Instead of telling us about the lack of a solicitor and trying to sweep things under the rug, just show yourselves to the door. The department needs a shake up. They need a REAL CHIEF. Not someone that is going to take the wheel for a month or two, play chief and get us into another controversy. We need a real chief with real experience. This person should be an outsider. Not someone from the inner circle that is going to continue to go along with all the crazy cost saving measures the board comes up with.
I have another crazy idea , how about we start promoting people. According to the website, we only have two detectives in our force. Is this because we have nothing to detect around here? Am I to believe that no other members of the force are capable of being detectives? That is laughable, of course we have very capable patrolmen and women. I would ask again that all members tender resignations at the next board meeting.Let us get real leadership and make this department a bright spot in our community again. Something we can all take pride in. Lets face it, the decisions made by the board in one way or another have placed us in our current situation. If it took all of these bad decisions to get us here, we better get some new people to make the right decisions to get us out.
Members of the board do the right thing,
resign at the next meeting.
resign at the next meeting.
4 comments:
I usually agree with just about everything you write..not this time!
They HAD a good chief from outside the area with a ton of experience and a ton of interest in this area! His only problem was maybe being a little over zealous, wanting to improve and change things overnight! Its not only the board that screwed this one up, it was the men and women in blue that didn't like being held accountable by an outsider, so they declared at one of the meetings they had "no confidence". Quoting the officer that read the letter that night, "they felt they were over-worked" There are some officers that seem to do a good job, but please don't place all of the blame on the board..there are too many close connections between some officers and board members. We need an outside agency to come clean house at that department before we can ever move ahead!
Thanks for the comment. I think we are agreeing here. I think the chief should have stayed in place. At least when he was there, racist e-mails weren't flying around. I realize the connections between the board and the police officers. That is why every member of the board should resign. Let us start new. With a fresh board. Your right clean house, lets start with the top and work our way down.
Thanks for reading,
Mifflin County Blog
I would like to reply to the first comment. I suspect that you do not really know what went on between the officers and the chief. I find it hard to believe that 26 or more dedicated individuals that choose a profession that requires working all hours to put their life on the line in all conditions with little respect at times from the community would ALL be against the chief for no reasons. I suspect that there was a lot going on that we do not know about. It is a hard enough job without having a leader that they can trust. From what I could see he seemed to just want to have his name in the paper all the time and never give the ones doing the work the credit. Those guys do deserve a professional unified board. Right now they have no leader, either a chief or a board. A clean start would be good for all. But please do not bash those things that you are not aware of even though you may have a grudge against the officers.
Please do not assume that I have a grudge against the officers or anyone for that matter..for I do not! I do know some of the officers personally and I don't believe they all had the same sentiment towards the Chief if the truth be known. From the tone at some of those meetings it was some of the officers that held grudges. The officers that attended any or few of the meetings seemed to be in great agreement with the unprofessional way the board was handling things. Why didn't any officers go to the board with their complaints about the chief, prior to all of this chaos, to try and get things straightened out? No, everyone jumped on the band wagon, and now everyone is suffering! I believe we have some fine officers at MCRPD, but as the say," a few bad apples can spoil the whole bunch".
Post a Comment