Thursday, March 5, 2009

My Take on Hower

The Good...

Talk about running for a reason. She really seems to be interested in doing the right thing. I have taken a look at past Mifflin County School Board meeting minutes, she has been very active. This is not a person who needs on the job training. She has experience as she points out. She is interested in students. That is a novel concept. To often people run for this position as a stepping stone. No concerns with that here. She really is interested in students and student learning. She knows all of the statistics. Pointing out the areas of weakness withing the Mifflin County School District.


The Bad...

I may take some heat for this but, I wish she would take a stand on the issues. By creatively dancing around the questions, the electorate will look through that. She offered no opinion on the new high school, just a question. When it came to teacher negotiations she pointed out that negotiations are on going. What does that mean? She claims that early childhood education needs to be reviewed. My question was what was her opinion of it. Do you like it? Is it worth funding? She also seems to have the board view out of focus. The board makes policy, the superintendent carries these policies out. She gave the school board a "C". They aren't doing good, but aren't doing bad either. Even when it came to school district consolidation, she had a neutral opinion.



I think its clear she is not a politician. That's a good thing. We need new blood. I think she should polish her message a little bit. I wish her the best of luck.

I understand that the current board members that are running are going to be running as a ticket. It will be interesting to see what their platform is.......

They better start with how they decided to build a school during a recession.



Thanks for Reading,

Mifflin County Blog

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very fair commentary

Anonymous said...

She is not a politician or has a personal agenda.She seems fair and caring. She has my vote!

Anonymous said...

I'm voting Hower/Adams

Anonymous said...

How can you possibly say she is not a politician when she as you put it "dances around" all the questions that were asked. This is what is wrong with our whole country today nobody stands for anything. There are no values it is all about what I can get for me. By not taking a stance on anything they can avoid being against any policy. To me this is like every politician in this country today. Look at our president his whole campaign was about change but did not say what would change or how he would change it he too just danced around the issues and look where we our with his policies now. If we can not even control or take a stand in these small town politics how could we ever expect to control our national politics.