Sunday, December 21, 2008

Want to Hear a Good Joke???

No one enjoys a good joke more than me. I get plenty of them and pass along the good ones to my friends. And with the election of Barack Obama as president, there is no shortage of jokes about him being the first black president. Most of them are racist and some are funny. The most recent one I received is written below.

Night Befo' Crizzmus

Wus da night afo' Crizzmus, and all thru da hood,
everybody be sleepin' and da sleepin' be good.
We hunged up our stockins, an hoped like all heck,
dat Obama gunna brang all us our checks.
All of da family, was lay'in on da flo',
my sister wif her gurlfriend,
my brother wif some ho.
Ashtrays was all full , empty beer cans and all
when I heared such a fuss, I thunk...."Sh'eet,
must be da law".

I pulled the sheet off da window and what I'ze could
see, I was spectin' the sherrif, wif a warrent fo' me.
But what did I see, made me say, "Lawd look 'a
dat!"

Dere was a huge watermelon, pulled by eight big-ass rats.

Now ovah da years, Santy Claws he be white,
but it looks like us brotha's, got a black un'
tonight.
Faster than a poe'lice car, my homeboy he came,
and whupped up on dem rats, as he called dem by name.

On Biden, On Jessie, On Pelosi and Hillary Who On Fannie,
On Freddie, On Ayers, and even Slick Willy.
Obama landed dat melon, right there in da street,
I knowed it fo' sho', - can you believe that Sheet?


As with many off-color jokes, some may find it funny while others find it offensive. I did not find it particularly funny or offensive, probably because I am a white man. But what I did find offensive was that a Secretary of the Mifflin County Regional Police, sent it from her office on company email to the officers and staff of the Mifflin County Regional Police.

Initially, I reacted by feeling thankful I wasn’t a black man living in this county. But after re-reading the joke, I realized it may speak to a larger problem in our area.

But it was sent by the secretary, by all accounts the de facto head of the department. If she felt comfortable enough to send it to everybody in her address book without repercussions, that tells me almost everyone there is either prejudiced against Afro-Americans and democrats, or is afraid to speak out against departmental lapses of integrity

Why does that bother me and why should it bother you? Because there is no one in charge there who can make sure the police department acts fairly when enforcing the law. What also disturbs me is that the joke was forwarded to the Lewistown Sentinel and I have read nothing about it. Why haven’t they reported it? Is it because The Sentinel holds the same views and thinks it no big deal? You tell me.



In closing, I wish everyone a safe and pleasant holiday season. I can only hope that the regional officers share the same sentiment. But just to be safe, if you are an ethnic minority, democrat, or anyone who has publicly voiced an opinion critical of the police department, make sure your break lights and turn signals work, and come to a complete stop at every stop sign.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on several points, one being why someone in that position felt it was appropriate to promote intolerance through a tax-payer funded e-mail. However, I disagree with you on one very important point and that would be The Sentinel's position in the situation. I understand, as you do not, that The Sentinel, as a print publication, must be cautious of printing something potentially libelous. There are many legal ramifications the newspaper could incur for printing something of that nature.
Fortunate for you, you have the option of retaining anonymity and the fact that the FCC has very few regulations of the internet, makes you theoretically "untouchable." The Sentinel does not have that luxury.
You must also remember that the people of that newspaper, no matter what the community thinks, are essentially ethical people who take consideration of many opinions and potential repercussions for the words that they print and the editorial decisions they make.
Let us focus on the key issue, racial intolerance, and in the spirit of Christmas, cut The Sentinel a break for once.
I would also like to commend you on assembling a very useful and forward-thinking website!

Unknown said...

lighten up !!!

fedup said...

"In the spirit of Christmas, cut the Sentinel a break for once"

You have got to be joking with that comment. Three strikes you're out. The Sentinel has been benched for years because they cover for all the corruption going on in this county. And we all know it, including you.

How dare you talk about liability and all this other horse sh-t after what this county has been through with the 'chief' issue among others, AND NOW THIS.

Do you happen to understand the ramifications of this email being sent out by the new leader of the mcrpd, Ms. .....

This is a hate crime, promoted and perpetuated by the mcrpd and sent to all rank and file officers on official police time and from the police station on police equipment.

That the Sentinel refuses to address this does not surprise me. I guess they will have to wait for this to go national which it will eventually, and then have egg on their face when asked why the story didn't break from them.

Liable? Anonymous. They wouldn't have had to print the name responsible. People like you disgust me. People like you keep this county in the gutter it is. Yeah, I know your mindset, sweep one more issue under the carpet. Protect the good ole boys who have destroyed and hurt many people. Protect the good ole boys who have destroyed this once admirable county.

You make me sick anonymous, and then you try to patronize the owner of this blog.

Anonymous said...

Blogger can't lighten up. The posts are being done to advance the agenda of Tunall who has sent this email all around himself including the Sentinel. Your profile is becoming clearer and clearer with each post you make. You said in a previous post that the Police Board is bad and the cops are good. YOu said that when you were supposedly threatened. But every chance you have gotten on this blog you have slammed them. And I know this comment will not get posted just like all the ones others have written that I've read. Yes, we have been able to read them.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, not sure who the blogger is or what agenda said blogger is trying to promote, but I saw the e-mail as it was forwarded to me by a member of the police department. In addition, I, not Tunall sent a copy to The Sentinel as a third party individual who feels the need to show what is going on in the department and being furthered by the Administrative Assistant. Whether or not I sent a copy to Mr. Tunall or anyone in no way affects the fact that the e-mail was sent by her.
The Sentinel on the other hand knows and has a copy of the e-mail address I used to send them a copy of the e-mail and if they wish to pursue the matter further they know how to contact me. Quite frankly, I sent them the copied e-mail right before Thanksgiving and still remain somewhat surprised as to why they haven't attempted to contact me. Again, I have received a copy of the original e-mail and am simply waiting for contact whether it is from The Sentinel, who obviously chose to sit on the story, or another outside source.
Anyone who knows the even the basics about the internet will know how to check the records from the ISP's involved in order to verify the authenticity of the e-mail and the locations it was both sent from and where it was received.
I sent the e-mail and I am waiting on you, The Sentinel, to act upon what is obviously a real story about blatent prejudice and racism that is perpetuated by members of the Mifflin County Regional Police Force.
In addition, I used some of the same wording that I used in the original e-mail to The Sentinel other supposedly interested individuals so that I could demonstrate to the authenticity of both myself and the e-mail in question.

Anonymous said...

To advance the agenda of Tunall?!?!?
That's crazy! The blogger is the only one bold enough to print the truth!
This is blatant racism and ignorance! It makes me sick to think that this sort of arrogance still exists in the world. How ridiculous of a professional or anyone for that matter to forward this type of garbage. Especially when this entity knows better and is under scrutiny to begin with! And you wonder why so much turmoil surrounds you! Have you ever heard the old saying,"what goes around comes around"? From what I understand this is not going to be swept under the rug like everything else!

Anonymous said...

Well,once again shame brought to Mifflin County. Have you seen the TV 10 news? How embarrassing!
Where's the MCRPD board now? Suspension with pay until a further investigation, sound familiar??!?!? Oh thats right, this is someone who sits in on these board meetings! Lets
see if this one is publicly humiliated, with just cause, like the chief was, with unjust cause!

Anonymous said...

Finally, something in The Sentinel. Could this be because WTAJ TV10 reported on it first? At any rate, three things in The Sentinel disturbs me.
First, the Administrative Secretary stated she didn't think it was racist because she has black friends. Anyone with just a little common sense will realize how that statement in itself reeks of racism.
Second, she went to a church where Rev. Carpenter is the pastor. If she didn't think it to be racially offensive, would she or did she send a copy of the e-mail to Rev. Carpenter?
Last, She stated the e-mail was politically motivated and she sent it because one member of the police department is a Democrat and supported Obama. If this is so, why send it to everyone in the department?
One wonders what will become of this incident. As far as I can tell, this is becoming a representation of the Mifflin County Regional Police Department and it is up the the board of directors to send a message, loud and clear, that this type of behavior will not be tolerated.

Anonymous said...

Dear Fedup: your conspiracy theory concerning The Sentinel covering up crime in Mifflin and Juniata Counties is well,...total crap. People like you are so completely misguided about mainstream media. Are you a reporter? Have you ever been a reporter? Do you know any reporters? Have you ever even read a newspaper?? All of your comments answer no to my questions. Go ahead and blame the media for every little problem in this area, but remember one thing.
The newspaper business is just that,..a business. It does not owe you anything. If you don't like The Sentinel then don't purchase it. Plain and simple. Stop bitching, because you don't have a clue what your talking about.