Here are the questions I sent to Mr. Jeff Adams. While he tells me to call him Jeff, I will still refer to him as Mr. Adams. If anyone out there can think of some questions I should add to the survey that I will send out to future members, please send me a comment or an idea. I really think by taking it one step at a time, we can change how our voices are heard. I will share my thoughts about this survey tomorrow. I would like for you all to read it for yourselves and make your own judgment first.
The Survey.
1. Why are you running?
I am running for school board for many reasons, but the welfare and education of my children and the children that the school district serves should always be first on any candidates list. One reason for my candidacy is that I am committed to keeping Union Elementary open. It is truly an asset to the children and parents that is serves. I also believe that the school board can play a vital role in keeping taxes down countywide by working with municipal and county government with tax abatement programs like LERTA that encourage property owners to fix up deteriorated properties rather than letting them become condemned eyesores and ultimately torn down removing them from the tax roles and increasing the burden on the properties left. I also believe that I have a record of strong fiscal constraint and always having an open ear to the public during my time on the Lewistown Borough council. I will listen to the constituents and make carefully thought out decisions if I am to be given the privilege to serve our community on the school board.
2. How would you describe the current state of the district?
I feel the current state of the district is divided. The district and the board is divided on issues ranging from the budget, the new high school, and union elementary. We as a district face a budget deficit as well as huge logistical issues concerning the ongoing construction projects across the district.
3. What is your opinion about building the new high school?
The new high school is a reality now like it or not. We must however be very careful when constructing it. We must remember that we are not working with a blank check from the taxpayers. That said, we must also try and make a school that will last for generations to come. It is a very sticky situation and must be handled with the utmost care.
4. Do you think the students of the county are well-served by the district?
I have seen several other districts across the country in places like rural West Virginia, to inter-city schools in LA from my time as missionary. After visiting these schools I feel that the district is doing an adequate job preparing students for the next step in the journey of life. We have numerous clubs and outreach programs as well as a good variety of athletics available for our students. Academically I feel that the district is on par with the rest of the state but there is always room for improvement.
5.What is your opinion about the teachers' union and negotiations with the district?
After spending several years on the Lewistown Borough Council I got the privilege of renewing the union contract for the workers of the Borough of Lewistown. All jokes aside it is a very difficult and painful process that is as much fun as a visit to the dentist. We absolutely want quality teachers educating our children. Quality education however comes with a price. We must make sure we treat our staff fairly but not put ourselves in a deficit at the same time. Healthcare is always a huge factor in negotiations, and the cost is always on the rise. We must be willing to shop around to numerous providers and find quality yet affordable care. We must go into negotiations with an open mind and ears to make it successful.
6. What is your opinion on early childhood education?
Having a preschool aged child let me be the first to tell you that preschool is very expensive. It does prepare children for kindergarten and those who either could not afford preschool or had chosen not to go are at a distinct disadvantage when they enter the school system. The waiting list for subsidized child care is very long with most children are never getting a chance to attend at all. The Headstart centers across the county are at maximum compactly and private schools are not very affordable for the average family. I feel the state needs to step up with regard to early childhood education. The state needs to move away from some frivolous transportation projects and increase funding to childcare facilities and increase the income guidelines for subsidized childcare across the state. So few are able to obtain help to provide early childhood education while others fall out of the income guidelines and simply cant afford the $400 - $600 a month price. I do not however feel that the district should have preschool programs as one of our services. The district is not in the position to take on such an endeavor at this time. We should be approaching the state however to use some of its more abundant resources into making early childhood education a reality for more children across this county as well as the state.
7. What is your opinion about vocational education?
Vocational education is something I feel is very important for Mifflin County due to our geographical location in rural Pennsylvania. My wife attended vocational school and it has helped prepare her for her current education she is undergoing to become a veterinary technician. Teenagers are very unique in nature and have very different dreams and goals. Some may want to open a hair and nail salon after graduation, while others may want to work on the family farm, or go to culinary school. And vocational school prepares them with the tools to enter the workforce right away. We are giving these students a head start on life.
8. Should the district cut any current programs in order to balance the budget?
NO! Unfortunately music and art programs are often times the first programs to be cut . The budget can be balanced with hard work and fiscal constraint. No cuts need to be made.
9. How should the district best address “No Child Left Behind?”
The district stands to lose far to much in government funding to not take the program seriously. I do think we need more accountability in our school systems so students are not slipping through the cracks. The educational needs of every child however are very different and cant be measured by a test. I think that corrective measures need to be taken with regard to the program.
10. What is the role of a school board member?
The role of a school board member is to make the very best education available for the students of the district and to wisely use the money that comes from each and every one of the taxpayers pockets.
1 comment:
Jeff has always listen to what the people had to say before making a decision.
Post a Comment